Thursday, January 1, 2009

Reading List: December 2008

Before I begin, let me just say Happy New Year to each of you. I am unsure why I use this space each month to talk about progress on my thesis. It doesn't really fit with the post's theme, nor does it seem to be of any great interest to you readers. Yet it does serve as a place to hold myself accountable to progress I've made (or haven't made), thus it will continue.

This past month I completed my thesis proposal and began the process of getting it approved by my committee members. I also used my seminar paper in my research methods class to work out a literature review that
with only slight tweaking should serve as a good fourth of the final project. Unfortunately, the economic troubles felt by the country have also been felt here at my house, so with the new acquisition of a full time job, I have decided to graduate not this Spring but instead this Summer. Relaxing the demands of school should help me maintain my sanity as I get the household back in black ink.

I also was accepted to a conference in April where I will present an overview of my thesis and hopefully receive some valuable feedback from other scholars. This will help make sure that I actually get some work done during the Spring.

This past month I finished 28 books, play, and graphic novels, and here is what they were:
Not too difficult to see how the numbers can get inflated when one counts a graphic novel the same as a six hundred page book. I want to highly recommend Man Gone Down by Michael Thomas, easily one of the best books I read this past year. I'll also have thoughts in the next week on Brian K. Vaughan's Ex Machina comics.

As always, questions, comments, and recommendations are strongly encouraged. This month saw comments by two new readers, bringing the readership here up to almost double digits!

No comments: