This past month I completed my thesis proposal and began the process of getting it approved by my committee members. I also used my seminar paper in my research methods class to work out a literature review that with only slight tweaking should serve as a good fourth of the final project. Unfortunately, the economic troubles felt by the country have also been felt here at my house, so with the new acquisition of a full time job, I have decided to graduate not this Spring but instead this Summer. Relaxing the demands of school should help me maintain my sanity as I get the household back in black ink.
I also was accepted to a conference in April where I will present an overview of my thesis and hopefully receive some valuable feedback from other scholars. This will help make sure that I actually get some work done during the Spring.
This past month I finished 28 books, play, and graphic novels, and here is what they were:
- The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
- A Better Angel by Chris Adrian
- Powers: Roleplay by Brian Michael Bendis & Michael Avon Oeming
- Streamers by David Rabe
- Hot, Flat, and Crowded by Thomas L. Friedman
- Nowhere Man by Aleksandar Hemon
- Brief Encounters with Che Guevara by Ben Fountain
- Diary of a Bad Year by J.M. Coetzee
- Wild Nights! by Joyce Carol Oates
- Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
- Powers: Little Deaths by Bendis & Oeming
- Race Matters by Cornel West
- Powers: Supergroup by Bendis & Oeming
- The Discomfort Zone by Jonathan Franzen
- Ex Machina: Fact v. Fiction by Brian K. Vaughan & Tony Harris
- The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman
- Ex Machina: March to War by Vaughan & Harris
- The Quitter by Harvey Pekar & Dean Haspiel
- The Silver Swan by Benjamin Black
- Man Gone Down by Michael Thomas
- Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil by Jeff Smith
- The Clean House by Sarah Ruhl
- Death: The Time of Your Life by Neil Gaiman, et al.
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume II by Alan Moore & Kevin O'Neill
- Coronado by Dennis Lehane
- The Drunkard's Walk by Leonard Mlodinow
- Spaceman Blues by Brian Francis Slattery
- Ex Machina: Smoke Smoke by Vaughan & Harris
As always, questions, comments, and recommendations are strongly encouraged. This month saw comments by two new readers, bringing the readership here up to almost double digits!