Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Reading List: November 2009

Despite a decision over two weeks ago to shift the focus of this space, noting has yet happened because (1)I have been busy and stressed, and because (2)I just haven't felt as though I have had anything worth saying. Yet my commitment to the change remains theoretically strong, so hopefully I will spend some time this month writing about interests of mine.

There are several films that fall into the hyperlink cinema genre that I have yet to watch though they sit in my living room, and I have also been pondering the seeming cultural superiority that Star Trek's Federation inhabits yet simultaneously denies, especially as this pertains to the Ferengi and Deep Space Nine. Thoughts on such topics shall, hopefully, be forthcoming.

In November, I completed 5 books and 5 graphic novels:
  • The Never-Ending Sacrifice by Una McCormack
  • Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
  • Are the Humanities Inconsequent? by Jerome McGann
  • The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite by Gerard Way & Gabriel Ba
  • Chronic City by Jonathan Lethem
  • Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America by Jeph Loeb, et al.
  • Green Lantern: Secret Origin by Geoff Johns & Ivan Reis
  • Invisible by Paul Auster
  • Assignment: Earth by John Byrne
  • The Umbrella Academy: Dallas by Way & Ba
Unreserved recommendations for The Umbrella Academy, which is a cross between a typical superhero family and a Wes Anderson movie. Auster's new novel was also decent and a departure from his last few works. However, I was quite disappointed in Chronic City, not because it was bad but because it was just mediocre and I expect better from Lethem. And while Loeb's Captain America story wasn't very good, he did do some interesting things with the layout and using 70s era artwork, with the reduced color scheme, to contrast modern sensibilities in flashback portions of the narrative.

Questions, comments, et cetera, ad nauseum.

No comments: